Sorry for leaving this blog for a long time. Firstly i’d like to say thanks to Ms Suma Puligella, she’s the owner of original articles about “Who is the true leader? what are their traits?”. I totally agree with her article, and now it’s my time to share with you with conclusion and addition of my perspective, folks!
Sometimes we heard some people talk about their superiors and categorize who is a “good leader” and who is the “bad leader”. Leadership is about people, it has nothing to do with any title. The title like, ‘CEO’, ‘CFO,‘Director’, ‘Sr. Manager’, etc., only show their power over others. So, what are the traits of a ‘good leader’ which makes them a ‘true leader…?
- A true leader inspires their employees through their actions.
- A true leader has integrity which is the very core value of their influence.
- A true leader is able to say ‘do as I do’ rather than ‘do as I say’, because they lead by example.
- A true leader listens without being condescending and rushing to judgment. They are patient and genuine to understand the ideas, thoughts and feelings of people they lead.
- A true leader reprimands their people from a place of empathy, a genuine intent of desire to help them to improve.
- A true leader does understand that there is no value in using sarcasm, beating around the bush or taunting while communicating to their people.
- A true leader always relies on two simple words ‘Thank You’ – when you show gratitude to people they will do more than what is expected.
As John Quincy Adams said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader”. As APJ Abdul Kalam said, “Leader must know how to manage success and most importantly failures”.
So, leadership is all about understanding people. Try not to become a person of success but instead a person of value.
If you are a boss, i suggest you to learn become this kind of TRUE LEADER.
Endah Riwayatun, BBA.